Home Up Sponsors Gratitude Gala

 

 

 

2010 Holiday Historic House Tour
"Houses with a View to History"
Sunday, December 5th, Noon to 4:00

It was a wonderful tour which featured five private homes built  since the first settlement of Huntington.  It sold out before all interested parties could purchase tickets, but those who made it were in for a treat. 
The tour included a house built by the descendants of one of the earliest families to settle in Huntington, the Fleet family, in the area now known as Fleet's Cove.  In addition there were houses that represented different eras of home building throughout our history.  Two homes with spectacular water views, built by the  Robb and Alling families, were included in the tour as well as a mid 19th century house owned by several generations of sea captains in Cold Spring Harbor.
Tour headquarters was in the Society's Conklin House, on the corner of New York Avenue and High Street. The Conklin House was open for tours, including tours of our latest exhibit, "From House Calls to Hospitals,"  a review of Huntington's healthcare heritage.  Refreshments were served in the historic barn on the property.
Please patronize the sponsors who made this House Tour posible

The two summer "cottages", then and now

The first photograph of the houses was taken in the early 20th century.  The second was taken in 2010.  Both houses were completed in 1895 and Wm. Burnett Tuthill, 1855-1929, the celebrated architect of New York City's Carnegie Hall,  was the architect.  The house on the right  was built for J. T. Robb and the one on the left, to the east, was built for Edward P. Alling

The 1895 Alling house
This three story house was built as a summer home for Mr. Alling, a New Your City financier from East Orange, NJ., The June 15, 1895 issue of the Long Islander stated that "Mr. Alling's new house is nearly completed.  Messrs. Doremus & Muller of Orange are the builders."  By 1900 the Alling house belonged to J. T. Robb and the cottage became a "summer rental" for the first two decades of the 20th century.  Although the kitchen and family room have been added, the house retains it's original integrity and grandeur from the late 19th century.

The 1895 Robb house
J. T. Robb, an executive with the Pennsylvania Railroad, and his family summered in this area as early as 1892, vacationing in the nearby Locust Lodge.  The Robb family moved into the house "nearest to the great boulder erected in memory of Nathan Hale," which stood for many years on the beach to the west of his house.  Although the kitchen and family rooms have been added to the east side of the house and rooms on the second floor  were reconfigured, the house retains its intended stateliness of design from the end of the 19th century.

The 1928 Cook House
The December 7, 1928 Long Islander announced that “Mr. & Mrs. Samuel H. Cook are moving this week to their fine new home on Nassau Ave.”  This style of English Tudor house was popular at the time, implementing many aspects of the craftsmen/prairie movement employed by the architect Frank Lloyd Wright.  The inside of this home has been meticulously restored by the present owners, maintaining and/or replicating  many of the original  features in the house. The most prominent feature is the use of  oak  throughout the house.  Much of the original hardware has also been maintained as the house has been adapted to modern living.
The 1750 Fleet House
In the second half of the 17th century Thomas Fleet, an English sea captain, settled in the area known today as Fleet’s Cove.  The eastern portion of this building seems to have been built as a two story “half house” facing south in the late 17th or early 18th century and could be the original settlement house. Maps of the 19th & 20th centuries continue to associate the land with the Fleet and Jarvis families. Descendants of the Fleet family owned the house well into the 20th century.  The western half of the house was originally built as one story with a large cooking fireplace at the far end.  In the late 19th century, a second story was added as well as a front porch and reverse gable thus changing the entire north façade and re-orienting the house to the north.  The exposed framing of ‘gun-stock’ vertical corner posts evident in the eastern bedrooms on the 2nd  floor and the large arched summer beam in the 1st floor southeast room., are of 17th and/or 18th century construction.  A large late 18th century barn associated with this house still exists in the area and has been converted into a house.

The 1875 Bunce House
This house was built by Captain Joseph Titus Bunce Jr. in the second half of the 19th century.  His father, Captain Joseph Titus Bunce Sr. raised his family in the earlier 18th century house which stands just to the north of this property.  Both father and son were sea captains working out of Cold Spring Harbor.  Joseph Jr. went to sea at age 12 in 1850 and sailed most of the 19th century.  The  house was lived in by descendants of the Bunce family until 1997.  Vacant for 12 years, it was bought in 2009,  restored in 2010 and maintains much of its 19th century charm.  The restoration retained the original mantels, banister, and wide plank flooring that dates back to the original construction.  There have been some changes to the interior walls to allow for modern conveniences of the 21st century.

 And a party in the Conklin barn